Sunday, March 7, 2010

Chasing Old Heroes




One of my great joys in life is interviewing retired baseball players. Last week, I added numbers 61 and 62 to my list. I am now locating players via the oldest living players list. Last week, I talked to Mike Sandlock (#11 on the oldest list). He is now 94. Mike played 195 games in his MLB career, with the Boston Braves, Brooklyn Dodgers and Pittsburgh Pirates. Then, I interviewed 92 year-old Virgil "Fire" Trucks (#26 on the list). Virgil played in 517 games as a pitcher, primarily for the Detroit Tigers, although he also played for the St. Louis Browns, New York Yankees and the Kansas City Athletics. Trucks pitched two no-hitters and a one-hitter in the same season.
Top photo: Virgil "Fire" Trucks today, living in Alabama.
Middle: Trucks with the Tigers after one of his no-hitters
Bottom pic: Mike Sandlock

1 comment:

Ruben said...

Fire Trucks is looking good for 92